1) Where are your Zulu Drummers and Zulu Dancers from?
ANSWER: South Africa. Our performers are entirely authentic. If, for whatever reason, we are unable to secure genuine Zulu artists, we will of course, forewarn any clients- many of whom are South African themselves!
2) How long is their Zulu drumming and Zulu dancing performance?
ANSWER: A 30 minute cabaret/floor show is a common request. But sometimes multiple shorter sets are required for drinks receptions or a dramatic 10 minute parading entrance is required at a corporate event. It really does depend on how much ‘impact’ you’d like at your event. Often the shorter performances have greater impact, because an audience’s interest always wanes eventually- no matter how good any performer is!
3) Are your Zulu dancers both men and women?
Generally, yes- but there are far more male performers than there are female performers in the UK. However, if you specify a gender preference we will always do our best to satisfy your requests.
4) Can I book just one Zulu performer?
ANSWER: Yes, but your show will be a small one with plenty of audience participation, however. We normally recommend that you book at least 3 performers.
5) Do the dancers always wear traditional Zulu costumes?
ANSWER: Yes, but there are many costumes that are traditional and it’s best you specify a costume from the pictures we can share with you.
6) Do they dance to backing tracks?
ANSWER: For a traditional African dance of any kind to remain authentic it needs to be done to live African drumming, ideally.
7) What is the ideal number of dancers and drummers to have for my party?
ANSWER: An ‘ideal’ number is best informed by the size of your party, staging area and, of course, budget.
8) Does the famous ‘Gumboot dance’ come as an extra?
ANSWER: It can do- or it can be incorporated into a larger show. Our advice would be not to have it as the main part of a Zulu drumming and Zulu dancing show, however.
9) Is there any audience participation?
ANSWER: In a word ‘always’! Every Zulu drum and dance performance is interactive and audience members will be invited to learn a few dance moves- which is a lot of fun. Drumming requires more involved instruction and can only be done in drum workshops which are also available at any event.
10) Can other instruments be played apart from drums?